In the Asbury Park Casino, where lots of murals have been painted in the last few years, there is a rainbow dripping down one of the exterior columns. It’s kind of horrible, and kind of beautiful. But you can decide for yourself.
April 3, 2012
January 30, 2012
Leave a Comment
In part of an ongoing effort to beautify Asbury Park, they painted some murals in and around the Asbury Park casino. I first saw the murals in spring/summer 2009 (which is when this was taken).
Any tasteful (TASTEFUL) painting with tentacles is okay by me.
January 22, 2012
I think I have photos of the exact wall before it was painted, but I’ll need to find them and re-upload them; I had all my black-and-white photos stored on Zooomr, which permanently went kaput without giving any warning.
August 14, 2008
For those who have found this blog by Googling “Things to do in Monmouth County:” I am as clueless as you are. My main source of entertainment ’round here is wandering around with a camera, looking for interesting things to photograph.
Edit, January 2012: Check out Patch.com. There are event pages for Belmar & Manasquan, Eatontown & Tinton Falls, Freehold, Holmdel, Howell, Little Silver & Oceanport, Long Branch, Manalapan, Matawan-Aberdeen, Middletown, Point Pleasant, Red Bank & Shrewsbury, Rumson-Fair Haven, Toms River, and Wall. Even if your town doesn’t have its own Patch, check events for the nearest town; events for you could be listed there.
I use Patch.com a lot for my north Jersey excursions.
Here are some things I have done:
1. Bowling. (Often with bumpers for the second game, because I am just that spectacular.) I usually go to The Lanes at Sea Girt, but I’ve been to Memory Lanes in Shrewsbury, Shore Lanes in Neptune (which is on the Asbury Circle, which is not a fun circle to navigate), and Brunswick Bradley Beach Bowl (maybe that link will work if you have the latest version of Flash, which I don’t).
2. Bars (and/or restaurants, grills, etc. that serve liquor). Not so much fun here in suburbia ‘cos you have to drive home afterwards, so you really need to (ought to) watch yourself. Unless you have a designated driver, which no one wants to be. (The above photo was taken in the Brickwall Tavern, Asbury Park.)
3. Coffee. Only really works if there’s only a small group of you, though.
4. Movies. Hey, it’s something.
5. The Datebook. Go find your local print copy of the Asbury Park Press and leaf through it until you find the Datebook, which takes up the bottom half of a page and is usually printed in red or blue ink. A lot of the stuff is craft sales and “square dancing for ‘kids’ 55 and over,” but it’s worth a look. I have been unable to locate the Datebook online; you do need an actual physical copy of the APP.
6. Go biking. All right, maybe it’s not a ‘Saturday night with the gang’ sort of activity, but it’s healthy. Bob Lucky reviews and photographs several Monmouth County bike paths, and many of the Monmouth County Parks are set up for that sort of thing.
7. Walk around. This sounds monumentally stupid, but if you have nothing better to do, give it a shot. Red Bank, Asbury Park, local parks, and anywhere with a boardwalk can be fun places to do this.
Speaking of Red Bank and Asbury Park, here are some official lists of what’s going on in various towns:
Also see Go Kids NJ, which sounds stupid, but you’re never too old to enjoy a boardwalk or a festival or an aquarium. You can search for specific towns.
August 1, 2008
What’s with all the manholes?!
Back in January 2007, I posted a photo of an Ocean Township gutter. Someone said, “You can learn a lot about a community from its manhole covers.” Fine. I posted some manhole covers. Someone else suggested that I make a typology out of it. I was compelled.
And THAT is how all this madness started. (They’re all from Monmouth County, by the way.)
The manholes are for you to EXPLORE. C’mon. There’s almost 50 photos here. Do you know where they were all taken? Did I REPEAT any patterns? Clicky clicky! Find out!
I’m posting this in honor of the City Daily Photo “metal” theme. Click here to view thumbnails for all participants!
July 16, 2008
Dinosaurs roam in Sea Bright–and they deck themselves out in Christmas lights.
(This is the best front-yard ornament EVER.)
Edit: read Ericles’ comment below for more information on the artist.)
July 5, 2008
Detail of the copper Medusa heads* that surround the carousel house in Asbury Park.
Asbury Park notes:
Secondly, someone threw… a raw hamburger? a large chunk of watermelon? at my car–about an inch below the driver’s side window–while I was driving through Asbury Park last Wednesday. Having heard the ear-shattering THUNK with which it hit, I’m relieved that there doesn’t seem to be any permanent body damage. Remember–Asbury Park is looking up, but it ain’t there yet.
*Actually, as far as I can tell, nobody’s entirely sure what these faces really represent. We all kind of assume they’re Medusae, but we’re not certain what Warren Whitney was thinking when he decided to add these faces to his design.
June 21, 2008
A lifeboat. With teeth.
I know when I’m drowning, flailing my arms in the water and terrified for my life, that’s EXACTLY what I want to see coming my way–SHARP POINTY TEETH.
I am (still) in North Carolina for a few days, so I will A) be relying on “automatic posting,” and B) will be unavailable for comments.